Discussion Questions for Cider House Rules
- How important is the setting of this film: an orphanage, in Beautiful Maine, a stodgy building, etc?
- What did you think of Dr. Larch by the end of the movie: knowing that he doctored Homer’s heart health records and lied to Homer? Did you have any reaction to his addiction to ether?
- Larch makes the interesting statement that because women don’t legally have the right to choose, Homer Wells does not have a moral claim in choosing not to perform abortions. Do you find Larch’s argument compelling? Do you think Homer was ultimately convinced?
- What struck you about the presentation of fatherhood? Think of Larch’s fatherly role towards Homer and compare him to Melody and Candy’s father?
- How do you think the film portrayed women: Candy and Melody? Do you think those characters would be written differently today?
- Why do you think that Homer performed the abortion on MELODY?
- How did this film alter your attitude toward abortion?
- If you can, imagine what would happen if abortion was made illegal again? How would women’s lives change?
July 08, 2020
July 18, 2019
June 18, 2019